Advice for a Girl Joining an all Male Fire Department
This list was given by Kenia Trevino in response to a question posted on Triple F’s group page. I thought it was very wise and so I’m sharing it! Of course, no list is definitive. There’s always more to say or do. What are you thoughts? I’d love to get a guy’s perspective!
1. Don’t date ANYONE you work with.
2. Work twice as hard, not because you’re a female but because you’re a ROOKIE. That is expected of everyone.
3. Keep your ears open and learn as much as you can.
4. Don’t get caught up with the table top politics. There will always be apparatus to clean, or a book to read or a rope bag you can open.
5. Don’t be shy to ask for help and expect to train EVERY shift.
6. Stay fit. Both mentally and physically.
7. Eat with your crew, that’s family time.
8. Have confidence in your skills: hose management, ladders, SCBA, extrication, medical.
9. NEVER stop learning.
.Kenia writes, “This has been an amazing career for me. You will make friends that become family. The brotherhood is a strong bond. Best of luck to you!”
STAY TOUGH & NEVER QUIT
BECAUSE TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!
Kenia Trevino has been a firefighter/paramedic with Tampa Fire Rescue Department for six-and-a-half years and in the fire service for nine-and-a half. She's married and a mother to three. .